Rethinking Kitchens – A profile of the design team at neongrün, Hamburg
Designers Sören Jungclaus and Mathias Knigge are the creators of +VENOVO: an aesthetically scaled-back piece of furniture which offers added value by enhancing open living spaces.
Hamburg/Herford, November 23rd 2018. Questioning the tried and tested, improving functionality, intuitive use of materials and a striking design sense: these are neongrün’s key objectives. It’s under this name that Sören Jungclaus founded his product design company in Hamburg. Ever since he finished his studies, he has focused his work on the interface between architecture and design. He brings a blend of passion and patented, detailed solutions to every product he designs, from the very first concept right through to the finished prototype. None are meant to be stand-alone items. Jungclaus does not confine himself to a purely creative realm. Instead, he supports the creative process with an examination of user behaviour and a product’s environment. The goal is, ultimately, to offer a unique added value, just as with +VENOVO for Poggenpohl.
+VENOVO, a kitchen newcomer, is a response to overarching contemporary trends such as urbanisation and mobility. It stands, as if floating on its sleek twin frames, for freedom and flexibility. It seamlessly blends into open living space. “It has to look attractive from every angle,” says Sören Jungclaus, referring to +VENOVO’s aesthetic efficiency in organising a variety of tools and functions, from hob to refrigerator. “People seek out visual calm, and we seek out minimalism,” Jungclaus continues. His collaboration with Mathias Knigge in developing +VENOVO was all about reinventing the kitchen. “It was important to us that we always had the piece in mind for living space, and therefore as a piece of furniture,” explains Knigge. An engineering graduate and designer, Knigge has been advising companies on the design and development of products which are characterised by a special proximity to the user since 2004.
At the neongrün office. L-R: Mathias Knigge, Sören Jungclaus
- Born in 1968
- Studied Industrial Design at Muthesius University of Fine Arts and Design in Kiel, specialism in "structurally oriented design"
- Spent 15 years as Lead Designer at Hadi Teherani AG for award-winning products and product lines for companies such as Interstuhl, Walter Knoll, Poggenpohl and Zumtobel
- Consultant and teaches at universities
- Born in 1970
- Studied Mechanical Engineering at TU Berlin followed by Product Design at Berlin University of the Arts
- Worked for five years at the Institute of Product and Process Design at Berlin University of the Arts
- Spent 15 years as a freelance design consultant, working with companies such as Stihl, gigaset and Sennheiser
- Consultant, specialist author and teaches at universities
Poggenpohl was and is a pioneer: We’ve been developing, designing and producing luxury kitchens at our Herford base for more than 125 years. The benchmarks for us are always people and their needs, social change and looking towards the future. Nationally and internationally. 450 Poggenpohl Studios all over the world offer first-class consulting and design expertise with the aim of transforming each client’s ideas into “their” perfect kitchen.
Poggenpohl Press Contact:
Poggenpohl Möbelwerke GmbH
Tel. +49 (0) 5221/381 -0
PDF Download: Designer Portrait_neongruen.pdf